Next Race

* Next Race: 08/03/2013 - NJ Warrior Dash (Info)

Friday, August 17, 2012

08/16/2012 - Amber Room Run From The Sun 5k



Race Date: Thursday August 16th, 2012
Race Name: Amber Room Run From The Sun 5k
Race Price: $25
Race Description: Certified 5K course runs from the Amber Room to Candlewood Lake and back.  Passes scenic water views, stately homes, and lake communities.
Race Location: Amber Room Colonnade: 1 Stacey Rd. Danbury, CT
Race Information: Amber Room Run from the Sun 5K benefits Ann’s Place. Ann’s Place services include: individual and family counseling, support groups, a peer mentor program, wellness programs such as yoga, reiki, art therapy, writing workshops, and a resource library.  All services are provided FREE of charge to cancer survivors and their loved ones.
Awards: Given to top 3 finishers in the following age groups (M & F):  12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+
  
Race Distance: 5k
Distance Traveled: 39 miles

Race Time: 6:30pm
Weather: Mostly sunny, calm, temperatures in the lower 80's

Swag: Tech Shirt | Gatorade Bag / Hat / Water Bottle
Food & Drink: Water | Gatorade | Beer | Cheeseburgers | Hot Dogs | Veggie Burgers | Chips | Pasta Salad | Fruit
Number of Participants: 392
Results: http://www.jbsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012-Amber-5k-results.txt

My Results
Time: 21:51
Pace: 7:02
Place: 28 of 392
Men (Age 30-39): 5 of 27






Personal Race Info
Pre-Run: 2 Generic Tums
                 Salt Stick Pill
                 Accel Gel
                 Water
                 Coconut Water w/ Chia Seeds

During-Run: N/A

    Had to leave work around 4:30 to head out to this race. I knew there would be some traffic on the way since I'd be driving during rush hour. Hit a good amount of traffic as I got closer to the race but overall it wasn't bad. Got to the race about an hour early and was surprised by the number of people that were already here. Picked up my bib and t-shirt and took some pictures around the event.
    Warmed up a bit and made sure I took my pre-race foods. I felt pretty warm and the sun didn't help. Luckily most of the course was shaded. I was able to get a spot near the front of the pack which helped at the start. The course started out with some small rolling hills and then started a long descent downhill. It's always scary when you keep going downhill cause you know you'll have to come back up. First mile pace came in at 6:30.
    The second mile things started to get real. A few people passed me heading into the turn but I knew I'd pass them on the way back up the hill. Have I mentioned how well I do on hills?  For the next 1.5 miles I was running in sync with another guy. Pace for the second mile slowed to 6:59.  Kept going up the hill pushing somewhat hard but I don't think I gave it everything. This is kinda one of the issues I have now. How hard do I push during the race...I always tend to have enough left at the end to sprint it out.
     The guy who was running next to me started to pull away in the last half mile. There was another guy who was somewhat behind us but there was no way I was going to let him pass me. I thought I had enough that I could overtake the guy who pulled away but he must have saved some energy for the end as well. Of course he also had 13 years on me. In the end I finished strong although my third mile pace was 7:27. I got somewhat worried that I didn't hear my timing chip go off.
     Picked up a water and headed over to where the food was. They had a ton of beer available ...too bad I don't drink it. They had 2 buffet lines set up with hot dogs, veggie burgers, cheeseburgers, pasta salad, chips and fruit. I had a veggie burger, some pickles and went back for a hot dog. Also ended up walking back to the finish line to pick up a Gatorade. They had a bunch of nice seating set up and music playing. They gave away bags from Gatorade that had a hat and a really nice water bottle in it. The awards looked nice but having finished 5th in my age group I knew I wouldn't be receiving one.
    With more people heading to the food, and seeing some cars leaving, I decided it was time for me to try to head out. There were still some people finishing up the race but I was able to slowly get out of the event. Overall this was one of the best races I've been to. With the really nice shirt and the food it was an excellent value as well. Looking forward to this race next year and hopefully winning an award.

No comments:

Post a Comment