Next Race

* Next Race: 08/03/2013 - NJ Warrior Dash (Info)

Thursday, October 4, 2012

09/13/2012 - King of the Hill 5K



Race Date: Thursday September 13th, 2012
Race Name: King of the Hill 5K Road Race
Race Price: $25
Race Description: USATF certified scenic course through Matrix Corporate Center
Race Location: Matrix Corporate Center, 39 Old Ridgebury Road, Danbury, CT
Race Information: Run is through the beautiful community of Newtown and includes many landmarks of this special town
  
Race Distance: 5 kilometers
Distance Traveled: 32.9 miles

Race Time: 6:30 pm
Weather: Sunny, calm, temperatures in the 70's

Swag: T-Shirt
Food & Drink: Water | Soda | Hot Dogs | Hamburgers | Pasta Salad | Chips
Number of Participants: 358
Results: http://results.active.com/events/king-of-the-hill-5k-road-race--2/overall-results

My Results
Time: 22:13
Pace: 7:09
Place: 23 of 358
Men (Age 30-39): 9 of 52







Personal Race Info
Pre-Run: Gatorade w/ Chia Seeds

During-Run: N/A

    My first race after my 33rd birthday! I like these mid-week races as it switches things up from the regular early morning weekend races. Screwed myself up again getting to the race. I stopped at a rest area right off the exit I needed to take but the only way out of the rest area was to get back on the highway so I had to go to the next exit and make a u-turn. I then couldn't figure out the right road to take to get into the complex. Took me a couple tries but I finally got there with plenty of time before the race. The Matrix Corporate Center was pretty amazing place. I enjoyed the "atrium" they had set up for registration & after party.
    The start of the race was probably a tenth of a mile from the registration. Did a bit of warming up and got ready. I was at the front of the starting line and overheard people next to me, who clearly weren't fast, mentioning that they liked being at the start line even though they weren't fast. One person in the group made a comment about that being rude and I agreed. I can't stand getting stuck behind slower people at the start of a shotgun start.
    The first half of the race was all downhill and I ran the fastest first mile I've ever done in a 5k. Of course the entire second half of the race was slow and uphill. Nothing really spectacular about the views here but a nice course. With 2/10's of a mile left I was in a group of about 6 guys fighting to make it up the last hill. This rush came over me and I thought "What am I doing...lets pass these guys". I took off sprinting leaving everyone in the dust and passing a few people in front of me. This was probably the fastest I've ever run in a race at any point. I was out of breath and spent at the finish line but isn't that how it should be?


    After the race I went back to the after party and got a hot dog and a soda. They had results posted up so checked those out and also got to test out a new item they had that printed out a little sheet with your time and stats. I thought that was pretty neat and would like to see it at more races. I ended up taking some pictures before I headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment