Next Race

* Next Race: 08/03/2013 - NJ Warrior Dash (Info)

Sunday, October 7, 2012

10/06/2012 - Schlathaus Park 5K

 

Race Date: Saturday October 6th, 2012
Race Name: Schlathaus Park Race 5K Run
Race Price: Free (Mid-Hudson Road Runner Member)
Race Description: Road race with some small hills and a nice trip around a lake.
Race Location: Schlathaus Park, Corner of Myers Corners Road and All Angels Hill Road, Wappingers Falls, NY
  
Race Distance: 5 kilometers
Distance Traveled: 3.3 miles

Race Time: 10:00 am
Weather: Sunny, calm and humid w/ temps in the low 70's

Swag: N/A
Food & Drink: Water | Apple Cider | Donuts
Number of Participants: 140
Results: http://www.mhrrc.org/MHRRCuploads/raceResults/2012SchlathausParkResults.pdf

My Results
Time: 22:04.60
Pace: 7:07
Place: 23 of 140
Men (Age 30-34): 4 of 17




Personal Race Info
Pre-Run: Gatorade w/ Chia Seeds | Gu Gel
During-Run: N/A

    My first race post-Marathon and it wasn't a good experience. It was great that this race was so close to home. I only needed to leave 10 minutes to get to the race which means I got to sleep in a bit more than normal. Got to the race an hour early and picked up my bib. The race was free to Mid-Hudson Road Runner Members which was nice but also meant no shirt. :( While I don't need another shirt I miss it for my "results" picture. It was a nice morning but it was warm for this time of year and really humid. I warmed up a bit and was sweating pretty good without even putting much effort in. The park was right near Meadowbrook Farm so I got lots of cool pictures.
    I was pretty close to the front of the starting line for this "shotgun" start. The horn that started the race was actually pretty loud. The race started out flat but there were a few pretty big hills during this mile. Things seemed alright for this first mile. The next 2 miles would be extremely difficult. My heart rate jumped up over 180 and my pace started dropping. I wasn't sure if this was because of running so soon after the marathon or maybe the weather? Either way I was not feeling good and had to really push myself to keep running. As I hit the final 2/10ths of a mile 3 people passed me and I had no strength to sprint to keep them behind me. While this was depressing to have happen I knew I didn't want to push myself and cause a problem. My family was at the finish line since my niece & nephew were running their first kids race. Even with the high heart rate I still felt like I ran a good race with an average pace of 7:07.
    I went and grabbed a donut and some water and waited around for the kids race. One huge problem with this race was that there was an incredible amount of bees. Most likely because we were near a farm that also had apple picking. The bees seemed to be everywhere and were hanging out by the food and the people. I didn't hear of anyone getting stung which is a good thing. I have a race tomorrow and thought maybe it wasn't such a good idea to start running again so soon after the marathon.
* Note: There should be more pictures from the race up soon

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics! Looks like you had cool scenery to run to. Still a good race even though you didn't feel like it was.

    ReplyDelete