Next Race

* Next Race: 08/03/2013 - NJ Warrior Dash (Info)

Sunday, October 14, 2012

10/14/2012 - Newburgh-Beacon Bridge Run


Race Date: Sunday October 14th, 2012
Race Name: 32nd Running Newburgh-Beacon Bridge Run
Race Price: $18
Race Description: 5-mile run starts in Newburgh on Broadway, turns onto Grand St. toward the bridge, across the bridge and south on Rte. 9D to the finish at the Beacon Riverfront
Park (near Beacon Metro-North train station).  A fast, net downhill course!
Race Location: Beacon, NY
  
Race Distance: 5 miles
Distance Traveled: 8 miles

Race Time: 11:00 am
Weather: Sunny, slightly windy & temps in the 60's

Swag: Long Sleeve Technical Shirt | Bag
Food & Drink: Water | Juice | Bagels | Cookies | Fruit
Number of Participants: 306
Results: http://www.mhrrc.org/MHRRCuploads/raceResults/Bridge%20Run%20Offical%20Results%202012.pdf

My Results
Time: 36:08.40
Pace: 7:14
Place: 43 of 306
Men (Age 30-39): 11 of 28






Personal Race Info
Pre-Run: N.O. Xplode w/ Chia Seeds | Gu Gel
During-Run: N/A

    Another nice race close to home. Also this wasn't super early in the morning so I got to sleep in a bit more than normal. This was a point to point race where they bus you to the start. The race didn't start until 11 but the last bus was at 10. I got to the race around 9 and was on the first bus to the registration site. The start of the race was in Newburgh, NY right on Broadway. For those that know the area, they know this isn't the best part of town. Registration was in a church on one of the side streets and warming up around the neighborhood was a bit sketchy. Probably the only time I may have gotten shot while warming up.
    There was a lot of good racers here and a lot of people I have come to know over the races this year. I talked to a lot of people about Spartan Races and other races I've done over the past year. It's always nice to be able to talk to strangers about something you are passionate about.
    I knew with the marathon coming up next week I wasn't going to go full on for this race. I still started near the front of the pack and it was a fast start. A lot of people who normally don't beat me were out in front of me for the first 3 or so miles. I started to catch up with some of them and with a mile left I passed a bunch of them on the downhill. This didn't last long though as they passed me again within the last half mile or so.

    I really enjoyed this run. I have never run over the bridge before and it was beautiful. There was a nice breeze and the sun was shining down. I felt pretty good for the whole run but heart rate still seemed a bit high for most of the run. Lower abs weren't bothering me much and the Ibuprofen probably helped with that. I think I did well for keeping it somewhat slower than I could have pushed it. I did feel somewhat let down that people who don't normally beat me did so today. I have to remember that I'm keeping my eye on bigger things and sometimes you have to give up the smaller accomplishments to achieve greater ones.

1 comment:

  1. Overachiever. :-) You did awesome, saving yourself for the marathon too! That's a really start late for the race, but it looked like nice weather.

    ReplyDelete