Next Race

* Next Race: 08/03/2013 - NJ Warrior Dash (Info)

Thursday, October 11, 2012

10/07/2012 - Castle To River Run 10K


Race Date: Sunday October 7th, 2012
Race Name: Castle to River Run 10K
Race Price: $35
Race Description: Race course includes views of the majestic Hudson River, Osborn Castle and the historic Benedict Arnold trail.
Race Location: Philipstown Community Center, Garrison, NY
  
Race Distance: 10 kilometers
Distance Traveled: 20 miles

Race Time: 9:00 am
Weather: Cloudy, calm, and dry with temps around 50

Swag: T-Shirt
Food & Drink: Water | Fruit
Number of Participants: 93
Results: http://results.active.com/events/castle-to-river/10k-overall

My Results
Time: 54:23
Pace: 8:45
Place: 17 of 93
Men (Age 30-39): 5 of 14
Award: 3rd place






Personal Race Info
Pre-Run: Homemade Juice w/ Chia Seeds | Gu Gel
During-Run: N/A

    I woke up and felt pretty good. It's been a while since I've felt good for a race when I first wake up. I had made fresh juice yesterday and I think that may have been what helped to get me in the right mood. I took some juice with me as my pre-race drink. I got to the race an hour early, as usual, got my shirt and bib and warmed up and took some pictures.
   This is one of the few races I actually ran last year. Last year I did it as a date and stuck with my date the whole time. I remember her walking a lot while I tried to get her to keep running. This year trying to run the whole time I realized just how hard the first part of the race is. This race is mostly held on trails. Over the first 2 miles you go from the park up to Osborn Castle. The uphill is about 500 feet and at times was too much for me and I just walked to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.
    After the castle it is mostly downhill back down to the park. This is a somewhat dangerous descent as a lot of the trail is covered with rocks and leaves and can become dangerous if you go too fast and don't watch your step. Once you're back over in the park they switched up the path this year and sent us down another trail. This was pretty much single person width and had some steep uphills that again sapped the energy from me. I think 3 people passed me in this section but I didn't have enough energy to catch up.

    One interesting thing I did today, as I was feeling good, was I didn't look at my watch until 4 miles into the race. Wearing a long sleeve shirt helped with this. The other good thing about the race today was my heart rate was nowhere near as high as it was yesterday which was a good feeling. The volunteers were nice and friendly and so were the people I talked to who had run. While not the best run, in terms of goodies / food, it definitely has a great feeling to it and is a great community event.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes not clock-watching and just going by feel can do wonders! How sweet that you stuck with your date last year, too. :-) Good job as always.

    ReplyDelete