Next Race

* Next Race: 08/03/2013 - NJ Warrior Dash (Info)

Saturday, October 6, 2012

09/29/2012 - For Paws & Wright Naturals 5k


 Race Date: Saturday September 29th, 2012
Race Name: 1st Annual For Paws & Wright Naturals 5k
Race Price: $25
Race Description: The route starts at the West Lot parking area of the Field of Dreams and continues down the drive and then onto Route 7 into Gardiner, NY. It features views of the UC Fairgrounds, farms, Wallkill River and the Mountains!
Race Location: Ulster County New Paltz Recreational Park, New Paltz, NY
Race Information: Your local dog park fundraisers and your local all natural product manufacturers are teaming up to host the 1st annual Family 5k to benefit the Ulster County Dog Park!
  
Race Distance: 5 kilometers
Distance Traveled: 22 miles

Race Time: 9:00 am
Weather: Cloudy, calm & 60's

Swag: T-Shirt | Eye Popping Dog | Bracelet | Lip Balm | Pen | Magnet
Food & Drink: Water | Cookies | Pretzel Bread | Peanut Butter | Bananas
Number of Participants: 51
Results: http://goo.gl/2hkf5

My Results
Time: 22:12
Pace: 7:10
Place: 5 of 51
Men (Age 30-39): 1 of 5




Personal Race Info
Pre-Run: Gatorade w/ Chia Seeds

During-Run: N/A

    The first race I've ever helped out with. I knew the organizer as an acquaintance. I saw her at a previous race and I was talking to her about the plan they had for their own fundraiser race. They originally mentioned they weren't going to have medals and I felt to have a good race you needed to have medals. So I decided to provide the medals as a donation. Once I did that I got involved in planning the entire event which was a really great thing to be part of.
    I got to the race 2 hours early so I could help set things up and take care of whatever they might need. I made chocolate chip cookies which turned out to be really good. I ran the route and put out the mileage markers and marked the turn around point. I definitely was not feeling great when I did this initial run. I knew I probably shouldn't push this as hard as I could since I had a marathon the next day.
    Since there wasn't many people it was real easy to get set at the front of the start line since this was a "gunshot" start. The initial part of the race was on a rocky road and started uphill. The rest of the race was on roadways and had ups and downs but nothing major. I was probably pushing myself harder than I should have been but my heart rate seemed a bit high. I passed a few people in the last mile and that helped to motivate me to keep going. I finished strong.


    After the race I was working on getting the race results entered into the computer but it helped to have some people from the Shawangunk Runners Club there to help and made everything go much faster. They handed out the medals to the placing finishers and that was it. Overall it was a nice day and a great event. Looking to help again next year. Here's a bunch of pictures since there were a bunch of people taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment